Land of the long white clouds
Today, 12 years ago, marked my family's journey to the "Land of the Long White clouds". Very coincidental since coming accross this story about the Land of the Long White Clouds from one of my Grade 3 English books and it never leapt out of my mind. I was wondering where this is and if this place really exists. It never mentioned New Zealand in the book so there goes the mystery. lol.
I couldn't help but reminisce the sad day we left our home and bade goodbye to our friends and neighbours. It's just so surprising how a decade can just be months ago in one's memory. Is this why they say life is fleeting? Back then I was the antihero. I despised coming here with them....missing out on my college life, my sorority life, my dorm life, and my friends. Basically, my life has ended... or so I thought. It took me a decade to accept things as they were.
Anyway, the smell of NZ when we first arrived is still fresh in my mind. Back then I think I see Palmy greener, crisper and alien. This having seen most of my days in the Philippines. Now both look the same to me. And I felt like my world has become smaller since then.
Coming to NZ was a decision my parents had to think about not just a hundred times but more. We left everything behind -- even family photos. I think that helped in one way from being homesick-er. Starting anew.
And looking back, I guess it's one of the best decisions my parents made. For me, I still have my hang-overs. But that's life. We tend to move on, facing forwards and not backwards.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home