Home
I’m feeling a little homesick today. I just want to blame the weather for the past week. It’s been terrible. It’s so humid and hot and drizzles without any warning. Ok, that’s being childish. I thought I might find a logical reason behind this feeling.
Anyway, it’s not Palmy that I miss, it’s my hometown – Dagupan City. They say you’ll always return to your roots. I always find the time to be home whenever I am in the Philippines. Stay there for a week at most. It just gives me the feeling of comfort and allows me to be just being me – away from all the negativities of life.
You know how life throws you to every possible uncertainties and that you learn how in life the only thing that remains constant is change. I think anyone have this feeling of chances of “time-outs” in their life. And find something or someplace to rest upon. Going home or being home gives me that feeling of security and rest.
A lot of things have changed actually since I left home. Elderly people I used to say respectful greetings during the night whenever I pass along their way are now gone. There are a lot more children than we were before. Probably due to new people moving in to town trying their luck(?). Old friends and playmates now married with children. And still in that place.
But there are things which never change. The attitude of people is still the same as it was more than a decade ago. Morning comes, pandesal, taho and binuburan passes by. Morning tea, lady selling some fish just caught from the river/pond would talk you to buying. Lunchtime and siesta times are quiet. Early afternoon, the icecream, fishballs and ice scramble people would now grace the streets trying to woo in children playing taguan, tumbang preso or sipa (whichever is “in”) to have some “refreshments”. Then my inang’s friends will visit her bringing with them news and chikas and sometimes even pasalubongs. Just these everyday rustics make life unchanged momentarily. These “province” behaviours which make me want to go home even for a week.
Going back to my roots or thinking of where I come from makes me grateful with the blessings that I’ve had. I’ve made a long journey than those who decided to stay. Sometimes I ponder whether wanting more, getting out of that place, and reaching far more possibilities is what I would have wanted in the end.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home