Monday, November 03, 2008

at MUSA cafeteria -- a decade of friendship

“Hi, are you a Filipina?” The line which started our friendship. We both are new to the University. She’s from Bacolod. She got her scholarship through NZ ODA, a NZ organisation granting the opportunity for intellectuals from third world countries (like ours) for an international study experience. I was in my first year at the University, having just transferred from UPLB. I never knew anyone. And given that it was against my will to study in that University, I never bothered to befriend anyone.

Eversince that lunch encounter, we have been friends knowing each other’s history, sharing with each other’s secrets, and learning from each other’s experiences. It is one of those friendships I never planned to happen and never thought it’ll stand the test of time. She was there during my best times and especially during my worst times. She was there on my side, literally, to console me when someone broke my heart for the first time. She was able to visit the only place I always talk about. She took the courage to candidly point out my mistakes and never got tired of reprimanding me to learn from my mistakes and make good use of them.

Since she was doing her masters degree, she has to leave me earlier, having to go back to the Philippines and find a job. After several years, we didn’t imagine we’ll catch up again and reminisce on our “good ol’ days!” She’s studying again. Now, she’s doing her Ph.D. at Lincoln University at Chirschurch, which I had the very good chance to visit for the second time around – now this time having the time to meet up with her and go around the beautiful city!

It is a treasure having friends. I believe I am blessed to have deep friendships. Now, when she reads this she’ll remind me to say “never say never”. J
Me and reg at Hagley park, CHCH

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home