falling in love with christchurch
Whisking my Friday night for my much-awaited trip to Christchurch, I have totally forgotten that it’s Halloween that day! My poor little boy has to stay home – he still hasn’t have had his Halloween trick or treat. However, re-thinking, it’s better that way – away from sweets. Will definitely have him enjoy next year’s Halloween, though.
I am so excited with my trip to Christchurch that I almost got left behind by the plane! Lol. Well, this trip serves as a birthday present to myself, a treat for finishing my first project with work, my excuse to catch up with a very dear friend and my “captured in lasting memory” trip to Christchurch so to speak. So there, it is well thought of and much anticipated weekend holiday. I went home from work and did my mummy duty while packing my clothes. We had dinner at around seven-thirty-ish in the evening.
My brother was there to pick me up and drop me off to the airport. All I was thinking was that my flight is 9.30 PM. After dinner, we left at around 8.45PM giving us 15 minutes drive from home to the airport. Imagine my shock upon seeing the departure trip screen with this: “Flight from Auckland to Christchurch – CLOSED”! I have to rush to the Air New Zealand counter to ask if the plane has left. The lady had to re-direct me to Air NZ’s ticketing booth to check whether I can still go. I am so distraught that I’m so near to crying – what if the plane left?
I rushed to the Air New Zealand ticketing booth and asked if I the plane has left for Christchurch. The guy checked his screen, asked the other lady to ring the plane (or as I assumed). I was so relieved when he told me to run towards the gate for the plane. He said I’m lucky the plane is just about to close. So there I was, having to put my running skills into practice – running up to the second floor (thanks to the help of escalator). I could hear my name being broadcasted (just hated that) to go directly to the gate as the plane is to take off. I am just so happy I won’t have to cry myself out that night. Lol. Well, it’s so good to see my friend waiting for me upon arrival. Syempre, chika to the max na agad.
The Avon River
Going through the metservice website Friday afternoon, I was vigilant in my prayer for having at least a cloudy day instead of the “strong winds and rain on Saturday at Christchurch” forecast. Imagine the unexpected weather that Saturday! The sun was out, though some clouds would bother to linger by – but man! It was really warm that day (no need for my coat) – around 20-22 degrees Celsius. The only time it dropped to less than 10 degrees was after 6 in the evening.
My first visit to Christchurch was early this year. However, because it’s a business trip, I wasn’t able to go around the city and see what it had to offer. So, I consider this as my first visit to Christchurch… and really fell in love with it more. :)
Well, eversince I’ve seen the place P and I have contemplated on trying to find a job there. But since our first priority is look for a job. Auckland came first. I don’t have any regrets as pondering on, I think Christchurch would be better to be a place for me and my family to go to once in a while. It makes you appreciate more the beauty and attractions it offers. My friend has seconded that being in the place anytime has given her enough excuses to see the parks and visit the attractions. Did you know it was the first time she saw some of the different places while being my tour guide?
Christchurch is the garden city of New Zealand. It is a very tempting place to go to if you’re planning to go for a holiday in NZ. You’ll be mesmerized with its relaxed atmosphere, beautiful gardens and picturesque landscapes. It’s an escape to the busy world of living in a city.


The Heritage Hotel, San Miguel (beer?) and market at Cathedral Square
My first visit to Christchurch was early this year. However, because it’s a business trip, I wasn’t able to go around the city and see what it had to offer. So, I consider this as my first visit to Christchurch… and really fell in love with it more. :)
Well, eversince I’ve seen the place P and I have contemplated on trying to find a job there. But since our first priority is look for a job. Auckland came first. I don’t have any regrets as pondering on, I think Christchurch would be better to be a place for me and my family to go to once in a while. It makes you appreciate more the beauty and attractions it offers. My friend has seconded that being in the place anytime has given her enough excuses to see the parks and visit the attractions. Did you know it was the first time she saw some of the different places while being my tour guide?
Christchurch is the garden city of New Zealand. It is a very tempting place to go to if you’re planning to go for a holiday in NZ. You’ll be mesmerized with its relaxed atmosphere, beautiful gardens and picturesque landscapes. It’s an escape to the busy world of living in a city.
The Heritage Hotel, San Miguel (beer?) and market at Cathedral Square
We started the whole day sight-seeing with a quick visit to Hagley Park. It is the biggest park in Christchurch where you can find teh famous botanic garden. There you can find the famous Avon river where one can do punting or kayaking.
Colorful flowers at Botanic Garden
Our next stop is the square where the famous Cathedral is well-placed (thus the street name Cathedral Square, I reckon). Everywhere you turn to is so amazingly appealing. There’s the big chess board. The visitor information centre for tourists is located in an old brick building. Generally, a lot of buildings in Christchurch are ancient giving that “European” ambience and some character. Most of these old buildings were there since the early 1800s, which were built during the British rule in New Zealand. Even the tram, which was used during the 1800s was then revived by the historical society for everyone to enjoy and have a feel of what used to be then.


Chess Board, Cathedral Square, & Tramway
Traversing through the city centre, one finds the richness of history of the place. I quite loved the relaxed atmosphere provided by the different coffee shops lining one part of the tram track. It gave me the feeling of that Florence, Italy I usually see on photos. Another thing that got my attention is the number of antique shops you can find in one street. I love going to Antique stores – you never know what treasure you might find! Due to time constraint I have to stop myself indulging in one store we visited.
Coffee fix, Cathedral
Mid-afternoon, we found our way driving towards the outer suburb of Lyttelton. And just being a few minutes away from the main city, I see myself having another coffee in a coffee shop along the coastline overlooking the Tasman Sea. This is one of the appealing characteristics of Christchurch, it has different topographies within the area.
Scarborough Beach (heart-shaped entry of cave), Antarctic Centre
Capping the night is a Thai dinner meal before meeting up with an old University friend, who was also in Christchurch for a holiday. He’s a Malaysian-Singaporean friend whom our Filipino friends mistakenly thought as one of us. Thus, everytime he attends Filipino gatherings, others would talk to him in Tagalog. Lol. We spent our last stop in the evening chatting and reminiscing our University days, trying to update each other with a decade of information. Imagine not seeing each other for a decade! Hehe.
With Reg and Mike; Sol Square
R and I have to go home early and take an early nap. I don’t want to be missing my flight back to reality at 5 in the morning.
* Christchurch photos in my multiply account.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home